Sunday, June 15

Walnut-Cranberry Peanut Butter Cookies


These cookies are gluten-free and dairy-free but I didn't put that in the title because you don't need to be GF or lactose intolerant to enjoy them. I often make them when we have a guest in house who can't eat wheat. Invariably, I get multiple requests for the recipe, which I email out, but I think it's about time I share it with everyone!

Walnut-Cranberry Peanut Butter Cookies 
These gluten-free, dairy-free treats are chewy, dense and addictive. The walnuts and cranberries are a good foil for the richness, but if you want to kick up the sweet factor, add or substitute chocolate chips.

  • 1/2 cup natural smooth peanut butter (any brand, as long as the only ingredient is peanuts and possibly oil)
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown or golden yellow sugar
  • 1 egg
  • pinch of salt
  • dash of cinnamon
  • splash of vanilla
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries, or to taste

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Mix vigorously everything except the walnuts and cranberries until thoroughly combined. Stir in the walnuts and cranberries. Use a 2-tablespoon measure to drop mounds on the prepared cookie sheets, leaving space around to expand. Press to flatten slightly. Bake until tops look dry and lightly toasted, about 10-14 minutes. Cool on a rack.

Makes about 14 cookies. The recipe is easily doubled or even tripled. The reason I make a small batch at a time is because these are SO addictive that I just can't have extras around!

Enjoy!

No comments: