Spring is the quiet season around here. There are no crowds, no long waits at the popular restaurants, no sharing the trail with the masses.
But if you've always thought a getaway up here means snowshoeing or swimming, you might be wondering "Just what the heck can I do on a Spring getaway?" Never fear, we've got 20 great ideas for you...
1. Listen to the frogs sing. Step outside in the evening to listen to the spring peepers singing in the distance; or stroll over to the beaver pond and let their song fill your head.
2. Hike the Seguin Trail. This former rail line is an easy-to-walk ribbon through the wilderness.
3. Catch up on your reading. Peruse our eclectic selection of books or bring your own. We provide comfy reading spots and few distractions.
4. Spend the day in Algonquin Park. Hike the trails, learn about the history of the park, gain a greater understanding of the land and animals through the interpretive dispays.
5. Watch for moose and other wildlife. Spring is a great time to see the moose, birds and other inhabitants of the boreal forest.
6. Stroll through Burk's Falls. Slow down for a small-town pace and explore the shops or walk along the river.
7. Gaze deep into a starry sky. When our dark sky is clear of clouds and moon, you'll swear you can see to the other side of the universe.
8. Meander the country roads and see where they take you. Follow the back road to Huntsville and stop in the hamlet of Ilfracombe for a breather.
9. Walk through an outdoor artscape. Visit the landscape canvas of a local artist and step into another world.
10. Go day-tripping to Parry Sound. Explore this charming little town on Georgian Bay with a day trip loop that will take you through some lovely countryside on your way there and back. In town, a climb up the fire tower is a must!
11. Marvel at the moss. If you've never seen what a "carpet of moss" looks and feels like, this is your chance. Our woods are so verdant and lush with it you'll have to reach down and feel the cool, springy cushion for yourself.
12. Paddlers can paddle. Experienced canoers and kayakers have been itching to get out on the lake since the first ice-out reports have come in. Now's your chance! Novices are best to wait until the water is warm enough for swimming.
13. Follow the Real Simple Itinerary. Relaxing and reconnecting are the main highlights.
14. Be a bargain hunter. Spring is the season for barn sales, yard sales and country auctions when you can prove the old adage true that one man's garbage is another man's treasure.
15. Savour the tastes of spring. Asparagus, chives, rhubarb, and strawberries kick off the growing season in Musoka.
16, 17 & 18. Get outside and active. Cycling, golfing, and horseback riding will engage your body and mind and make you revel in the fresh air of the great outdoors.
19. Treat yourself to a little treat with the money you'll save. Save $10/night on your Spring Getaway when you stay two nights or more, so go ahead and get that high-tech outdoor gear from Algonquin Outfitters or a bottle of award winning wine from Muskoka Lakes Winery.
20. Tour the waterfalls from Arrowhead to Algonquin Park. Discover the natural gems of the region before the busy summer season sets in.
Do you have more ideas for experiencing the best of Spring in Muskoka and Almaguin? Tell us what you love to do!